Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Insert citations and bibliographies into your papers
Mendeley Cite speeds up the process of referencing when writing, giving you the tools to quickly and easily insert references from your Mendeley library directly into your Microsoft® Word document.
Mendeley Cite is compatible with Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft Word versions 2016 and above and with the Microsoft Word app for iPad®.
- Once installed, Mendeley Cite can be accessed via the 'References' tab on the Ribbon in Word
- Position your cursor where you want to insert a citation in your document. From the 'References' tab in Mendeley Cite select the reference(s) you wish to insert, and select ‘Insert citation’
Choosing and changing citation styles
- Select a new style by going to the 'Citation Style' tab in Mendeley Cite
- The tab displays a list of all the citation styles you have installed. Change the style by selecting any of the styles, then 'Update citation style'
- If the style you need isn’t listed you can select ‘Select another style...’. Your top 10 list will automatically update with your new selections in alphabetical order
- If you need to use a custom citation style, you can upload your own style directly into Mendeley Cite
Editing a reference in a citation
- Select the citation you wish to edit, then select the reference pill you wish to edit in the edit panel in Mendeley Cite
- From here you can add values to specific reference attributes, provide a prefix/suffix and suppress the author name. Any edits you make will be applied within your document
- Select the 'More' menu in Mendeley Cite and select the ‘Refresh References' button in the drop down menu
- Mendeley Cite will update all references in your document, as well as the bibliography, with any changes you have made in your Mendeley library
- You can also use this function to update the bibliography if you have deleted citations within the document having already inserted a bibliography
Inserting a bibliography
- Position the cursor where you want the bibliography to appear in your document, select the 'More' menu in Mendeley Cite and select the ‘Insert Bibliography’ button
- Your bibliography will automatically reorder and restructure itself every time you add an additional citation
Get help with generating citations and bibliographies